Get your work published on studentbeans.com
So You Want To Be A Journalist? Exclusive Competition
studentbeans.com is the UK’s leading student website. With over 800,000 visits per month, the site saves students money with deals, discounts and money saving advice as well as offering games, viral content and student life related articles. Essentially we do everything we can to make students’ lives a little more awesome.
studentbeans.com wants to be at the forefront of campus culture so we are opening up our doors (by which we mean our website) to a team of student writers.
We are offering one lucky So You Want To Be A Journalist? attendee the chance to become part of an elite squad of studentbeans.com writers.
You will be part of a team of on the ground writers that receive weekly briefs from studentbeans.com and will have the chance to pitch ideas for the opportunity to get your articles published on studentbeans.com where hundreds of thousands of readers will see your words.
What we’re looking for…
• You show a real desire to be a writer and talent to match, regardless of the course you’ve studied.
• You can identify subjects that matter to the student demographic early and write about them in an intelligent and compelling way.
• You are a creative thinker, brimming with ideas.
• You have an excellent sense of humour.
What we need from you
To enter the studentbeans.com writer competition, we want you to pitch three original, compelling and amusing ideas for each of the three sections of the studentbeans.com website: Easy Money, Student 101 and World Weird Web.
Each idea should consist of a title and a brief description of the concept. Please do not write the entire article – we are just looking for ideas. We encourage you to read articles on studentbeans.com so you can get a feel for the type of content we write about, but please ensure that your pitches contain original ideas.
Here is some information on each of the sections to help you get started:
1. Easy Money
Easy money is about saving money where it’s worthwhile and is all about being useful. These articles contain tips, tricks, news and advice that can save students cash, for example how to have fun for free or on the cheap, making money (which includes career and work experience advice too) and travelling on a budget. Examples of successful Student 101 stories on studentbeans.com are:
2. Student 101
These stories relate to university life, student living, or anything that is of particular interest to the student population. They can range from silly to serious but they must be compelling and have broad appeal. Examples of successful Student 101 stories on studentbeans.com are:
3. World Weird Web
These stories make people go eughh, ahhh, cringe, squirm, WTF, OMG. They are fascinating, kitsch, surreal, hilarious, incredibly odd, cute, insanely genius. Freshness and originality are very important – it’s no good if everyone’s already heard it, or it’s a tired old theme. Examples of successful WWW stories on studentbeans.com are:
Terms and conditions
1. To enter you must complete the entry form in full
2. Deadline for entries is Wednesday 9th May 2012
3. All personal details and/or information given in your application must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading
4. As a condition of entering the competition, you agree that studentbeans.com has exclusive and unlimited ownership of any content you submit for publication or other uses by studentbeans.com, including material that is not published or not otherwise used.
5. All entries will be read by studentbeans.com who will select a shortlist of a maximum of ten entries
6. All shortlisted entries will be notified by email
7. All shortlisted entries will go through to a final round of judging by a panel of journalists featuring Kelly Rose Bradford and Lucy Jolin.
8. Winner(s) will be announced by 11th June 2012
9. studentbeans.com has the right to choose more than one winner to join the studentbeans.com team of writers
10. It is at the discretion of studentbeans.com whether submitted articles by the winner(s) are published by studentbeans.com
How to enter
Please fill out our short form by clicking below.
If you have a question about the competition, please contact Olivia Mason at StudentBeans.