We’re not going to lie…getting into journalism isn’t easy. It’s always been a competitive industry, but in a tough economic climate, when many media outlets are doing more firing than hiring, getting a foot in the door has never been so hard. So how can you make sure you stand out from the crowd?
‘So you want to be a journalist?’ is your chance to find out. This unique, one-day conference brings together top industry professionals from newspaper, magazine, online and broadcast journalism. They’ll give you the inside track – warts and all – on the skills, attributes and experience you need to break into the profession. Visit our speakers page for a list of confirmed speakers.
We’ll be posting a more detailed programme in the next week or so. In the meantime, here’s a taster of some of the sessions on offer:
- Making the news as the media landscape shifts around you
- Working for consumer magazines – and how not to be a magazine intern forever
- Jump in or get trained? Routes into journalism
- Getting a foothold as a freelance
- Data is sexy
- Why you should specialise
- Being opinionated; why should anyone care what you think?
- Feature and profile writing
- Foreign reporting – how it works and what it takes
- Opportunities in niche consumer and trade magazines
- Break into broadcast
- Investigative journalism